Monday, August 3, 2009

As summer goes by...

I've only been out of the classroom for two months, but it seems like much, much longer.

Who am I going to be when I return to school? When I return to a classroom with students who look up to me?

It may be a silly fear, but in the back of my mind I can't help but wonder if the summer is being detrimental to me. Most of the other student teachers I go to school with took summer classes; they've only got about a month's break to worry their brains over. They had that time to build relationships and keep their teacher minds.

Could mine be disappearing over the summer?

I know it will be impossible to know until I'm back in school. For all I know, class will go on without a hitch. It'll be like coming back from the weekend.

I know it will be nothing like I fear. But what about in the future? If I'm not teaching summer school, will the whole summer leave me forgetting what it's like to be a teacher?

These fears really are silly. I'm a teacher because I want to be. I'm a teacher because I have the heart and the passion for it. I'm a teacher because I know I can do it and I'm meant to do it.

With a teacher's heart, a teacher's mind is unnecessary. This school year will start and I'll realize who I am: a teacher.

And everything will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment